Advantages of Dental Implants
- Apr 11 2017
What are the advantages of dental implants over other options for replacing teeth?
The Chinese tried to replace missing teeth with bamboo pegs. That was 4,000 years ago. Through the centuries, copper, iron, jade, gold and different alloys were experimented with, as were sea shells, animal teeth and even teeth from humans. None of these efforts achieved the desired results, and it was not until 1965 that a dental implant was successfully placed into a live volunteer, using titanium.
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots, placed in your mouth to hold replacement teeth, usually in the form of crowns or bridges. They look just like natural teeth and are made from titanium due to its ability to fuse with the surrounding jawbone and provide a sturdy foundation. This fusion, known as osseointegration, is what gives dental implants a success rate of nearly 95%.
There may be any number of excellent reasons for opting for implants over dentures or bridges, but the only question that really matters is “Are dental implants right for you?” The high success rate, coupled with the fact that, with proper care, implants may last a lifetime, is a good place to start. Despite what some believe, the procedure itself is generally felt to be less painful than having a tooth pulled and implants require the same basic care as natural teeth. Beyond this, there are still other factors to consider.
Advantages of Dental Implants Over Bridges and Dentures
- Appearance – implants do not merely look as good as natural teeth; in many circumstances they look better.
- Clear speech – anyone with dentures knows the fear of having them slip while talking, which causes speech to become slurred or nearly incoherent. Implants totally remove that worry.
- Comfort – the operative word is “implant”, meaning something that has become a part of you, thereby eliminating the discomfort of removing and replacing anything.
- Self-esteem – implants give you confidence in your smile, which means you will smile more often. This enhances interactions with others and improves self-esteem. Plus, there are no embarrassing periods when they are out of the mouth.
- Carefree eating – no worrying about what you can and cannot eat. Eat all your favorite foods without fear of pain or embarrassment.
- Convenience – implants do not require removal and overnight storage, special cleaning solutions or adhesives to keep them in place.
- Oral health – bridges and dentures impact other teeth, either as support for bridges or by the need to be altered to make space for dentures. Implants fill in a natural space.
Anyone interested in dental implants will be pleased to know that the option is available for most people who are healthy enough for other procedures, such as having a tooth pulled or oral surgery. There must be healthy gums and sufficient bone to hold the pins. Some health issues, like diabetes and heart disease, require special evaluations that can be made by your dentist.
If you are considering dental implants or any other sort of dental procedure or preventative care, Forest Hills Dentistry is dedicated to delivering the highest quality of dentistry possible. We offer the latest and most current information and services to our patients with a new state-of-the-art facility in Forest Hills, Queens. Patient comfort, individualized care and complete satisfaction is our priority.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, just call (718) 793-6669.
Categories: Dental Implants